James Patterson walks to the beat of his own drum. He’s disruptive. He trusts his gut. He has found what he loves to do in life, and he chooses every day to do it.
His message was simple. We should all do the same in our lives.
It got me thinking about the opportunity for disruption in my world and yours. It inspired me to create this week’s tool: Step Up and Disrupt: 6 Questions to Trust Your Gut, Take a Risk, and Change the World. The tool poses six questions:
- What opportunities for disruption exist in your world, on your team, and with your customers?
- What would it look like to make a bold move in a new direction?
- What is your gut telling you to do?
- What is holding you back from doing it?
- What is the worst that could happen, and is the worst that bad?
- What’s the upside if you pull it off?
Use the tool and video to explore your answers to these questions and encourage others to do the same. Messing up the status quo might feel uncomfortable and risky, but as Helen Keller said, “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.”
Patrick Leddin, PhD is a speaker, global leadership consultant, and The Wall Street Journal bestselling author of The Five-Week Leadership Challenge. Patrick is an Associate Professor at Vanderbilt University with a thriving leadership blog and podcast, and 25-years of leadership experience. He offers an unparalleled mix of academic rigor and real-world experience.